• Page:

TOPIC: Jumping worm cocoons

Jumping worm cocoons  5 months 3 weeks ago #443

• Sharon Semanovich
  • Sharon Semanovich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Are these jumping work cocoons?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jumping worm cocoons  5 months 3 weeks ago #444

• Brown
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for using the MyWoodlot forum. I'm not sure if those are jumping worm cocoons or not. I didn't even know they had cocoons! However, I did find some resources that you may find to be useful. This Minnesota DNR page has some photos of jumping worm cocoons that look similar to your photograph: www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestria...ping-worm/index.html . Of course, they also look similar to the cocoons of European nightcrawlers: www.buckeyeorganics.net/collections/worm...nightcrawler-cocoons . The MN DNR article says that soil that looks like coffee grounds is a tell-tale sign of jumping worms. Did you notice this where you found the cocoons? This fact sheet from Cornell Cooperative Extension ( ccetompkins.org/resources/jumping-worm-fact-sheet ) provides contact information for experts in New York, as well as a prompt to report jumping worm sightings on www.nyimapinvasives.org . I hope this is helpful. Let us know what you find out.
Cheers,
Kris Brown

Jumping worm cocoons  5 months 3 weeks ago #445

• Sharon Semanovich
  • Sharon Semanovich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am familiar with the "coffee grounds" appearance left by these worms. What I did find very close to these were many small jumping worms. As I dug out further, I found larger jumping worms, but no noticeable damage to the soil. I usually see that later in the summer. I used ImapInvasives a few years back to document the jumping worms I found under planters by my greenhouse, so I know they are in my yard. I gather them as I find them and solarize them. I have reached out to John Thompson, CRISP Coordinator of Catskill Center and awaiting a reply.

Thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds
Login/Register